Spinach Salad with Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
Chef Randy Barta
Riverside Golf & Country Club, Portland, OR
For the balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 part balsamic vinegar
- 1 part red wine vinegar
- 2 parts good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- Bee Raw Sweet Yellow Clover Honey Shop Now to taste (start with 1 teaspoon and add more as needed)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the salad
- 4 oz. spinach, cleaned and stemmed
- 2 oz. arugula, stemmed as needed
- 1 head Belgian endive, chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced thin into rings
- 1 red apple sliced into thin wedges
- 4 to 6 oz. candied walnuts
- 8 to 12 oz. rogue river bleu cheese or other good quality bleu cheese, crumbled
- In a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients except the oil.
- Blend on medium-high speed and add the oil slowly in a stream. Continue mixing for a few seconds more to allow the vinaigrette to emulsify.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and adjust sweetness with the honey. Serve with following salad. Makes about 1 cup.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the spinach, arugula, Belgian endive, red onion rings and red apple wedges.
- Drizzle with enough dressing to lightly coat the greens and apples.
- Toss well and put a good handful on each of four salad plates, arranging the apples to be seen.
- Top with the bleu cheese crumbles and the candied walnuts. Add additional dressing as needed.
Serves 4 to 6.